Thursday, September 29, 2011

Q and A: Anniversary Present

If there's one thing that gets me pumped up for the day, it's the chance to answer a reader question!  It's one of my favorite parts of this gig.  Here's one I got just the other day:


I am in a dilemma and could use some creative words of advice. I am approaching my one year wedding anniversary in October, my dilemma being I want to give my husband something special and I’m stuck as to what to get him. We are going to FL and will be doing a special dinner but I wanted to add a little something else. He is not a jewelry guy, very laid back. So my selections I feel are narrowed down a lot. Do you have any recommendations or can you suggest anything else I could do to make it special?

Well first of all, Happy Anniversary!  While I don't have a lot of experience in anniversary present shopping, I want to say you've come to the right place.  What I lack in relationship history I make up for in sheer present-giving enthusiasm...giving people gifts they love is one of my great joys in life. :)

I definitely get your dilemma- whereas we're easily pacified by a sweet card and anything sparkly, boys are tricky to buy for...especially when it comes to sentimental holidays.  I think anniversary presents in particular are always sweeter when they're something you both enjoy or can do together...that way they're not just a celebration of your husband, they're a celebration of your relationship.  Think about your common interests but since the present is for him, try and steer clear of things he tolerates for your sake and lean towards things he's enthusiastic about (that goes without saying, of course, but if he's the sweet husband I suspect he is this might require a little intuition).  Here are a few options to consider.


1. For the Connoisseur - I love this idea...give your husband three bottles of wine- one to open for this year's anniversary, one for your five year anniversary and one for when you hit the big 1-0.  Make sure the five and ten year bottles are known for aging well- check out this guide if you need some help picking them out.

2. For the Academic - Oh to find a guy that loves museums.  Be still my heart.  If you were lucky enough to snag one, consider buying a one year membership.  If you live near a big city, you'll have lot of options...art, natural history (yay dinosaurs!), science- pick an area that interests him and you'll always have a fun activity or date night on deck.

3. For the Sports Fanatic - Treat him to tickets to go see his favorite team.  Even if sports aren't your favorite, be enthusiastic!  It'll be fun!

4. For the Candy Lover - Admit it, we're not the only ones with a sweet tooth.  At the end of the day, you just want to give him something he'll enjoy and if what he enjoys is chocolate...well...I say more power to him.  The mushy message might be a bit much but hey- why not?  It's sweet on many levels. :)

5. For the...well...I'm just going to say it...Nerd - This custom-made comic book cover (your faces and names) is perfect for the husband who loves superheroes, Star Wars or has expressed any interest in one day attending Comic Con.  From the Big Bang Theory candidate to the ironic Urban Outfitters wearing nerd, this one is a gem.

6. For the Board Gamer - If your beau is always up for game night, try this customize-able Monopoly-esque board game.  It lets you use your own photos and captions to make the game totally personalized.  Cool concept, right?

7. For the Movie Critic - Two word: Netflix subscription.

8. For the Coffee Addict - These custom made mugs are sweet and surprisingly guy-friendly to behold.  Sure, they're a bit sappy (see what I did there?), but they're a one of a kind piece and a really special gesture.  

Good luck on your hunt!  Anyone else have a question?  Shoot me an e-mail here and I'll try my darndest to help!

0 comments:

Post a Comment