Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Foodie Files

Although I generally consider it autumn once the calendar strikes September 1st, tomorrow is the first official day of fall.  I love summer and I'm sad to see it slip away, but the time has come to wave bye bye...so here's my peace offering to the new season: chili.  And darn good chili if I don't say so myself.  Although this wasn't exactly something we grew up eating, I've learned to appreciate it over the last few years.  I doubled the meat and halved the beans of my cousin's recipe...but other than that, left it pretty intact.  And she's a real southerner, so it's a recipe you can trust. :)

Ingredients: 
2 shallot cloves, diced
2lbs ground turkey
4 14oz cans of diced tomatoes
1 can dark kidney beans, drained
1 can light kidney beans, drained
1 packet chili spices
2 tsp crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown shallots in extra virgin olive oil, then add meat.  Be sure not to over handle the turkey or it will essentially turn to mush.  Once meat is browned, drain it and season with chili spices.  


Add tomatoes, beans, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.  


Simmer for 20 minutes and serve with sour cream and sharp cheddar cheese.

0 comments:

Post a Comment