Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Foodie Files

I'm not sure what the weather's been like where you are, but the last few days were beautiful here in Jersey.  I'm pretty confident it's just a tease but I'll take sunny skies and 80 degrees any way I can get it!  Now...this may be the vitamin D talking, but in celebration of this week's perfect weather my Mom made what can only be described as the best summer salad I've ever had in my life.  While it's a lot like a traditional tabouleh in most ways, she used millet instead of bulgar wheat (neither one sounds like a picnic, I know, but don't knock it 'til you try it).  She graciously jotted down the recipe so I could share it with you guys and I can't wait to hear what you think...it's seriously delicious!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup millet
2-3 shallots, finely diced
5 oz parsley
3 oz swiss chard
8 oz yellow grape tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 cup lemon and lime juice (about 1 lemon and 2 limes)
1/4 cup extra virgin first cold pressed olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook the millet according to package instructions (in water with olive oil and salt about 20-25 minutes or until al dente).  Whisk the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.  Wash the parsley and swiss chard, then use a salad spinner or paper towels to thoroughly dry it.


Remove all the stems, then grab a handful of the parsley and swiss chard and roll it up.  Slice the roll as thinly as possible, then chop in the opposite direction so the cut is very fine.  Add the chopped greens to a large bowl along with the tomatoes and shallots.  Add the millet along with the dressing and toss everything together.  It's as simple as it is tasty!

0 comments:

Post a Comment