Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Foodie Files

So, I was browsing my neighborhood Trader Joe's the other day, picking up ingredients for the recipe below when one of their workers approached me.  The conversation went as follows:

Grocery Guy: "Whatcha using those chickpeas for?"
Me: "I'm gonna try and make some Moroccan chicken...it's my first time giving it a shot so wish me luck."
GG: "So you like Moroccan food, huh?"
Me: "It's one of my favorites.  There's no place to eat it locally, though, so I have to make it myself."
GG: "Have you spent a lot of time in Morocco?"
Me: "No, but it's always been my dream to go..."

It was at this point in the conversation that I realized three things.  1) There's a possibility this guy might be hitting on me so I better figure out an exit strategy as soon as possible.  2) Living in Tennessee has made me so much nicer (Jersey Gabby would've hightailed it out of there before he spit out his second syllable).  And 3) I sound like I'm totally obsessed with Morocco right now.  Which lead directly into realization 4)...Am I obsessed with Morocco?  All signs point to yes.  I Google pictures, I look at flights, I tell strangers about how desperate I am to visit...heck, I got out of my nice warm bed at 2:00am to write down this very recipe (because- in the middle of the night- that's where my head was).  All that to say, I had high expectations for this meal.  Thankfully, it came out tasting exotic, scrumptious, and very true to the Moroccan flavors I appear to be infatuated with.  If you're looking for something really different but undeniably delicious, I'm thinking you found it.

Ingredients:

1 large onion, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1 cup chicken stock
3 TBS honey
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
2 TBS tomato paste
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
1/2 cup dried apricots
1 can (14 oz) chickpeas, drained
3 large chicken breasts, cubed
Fresh Cilantro (to serve)
1 lemon, quartered (to serve)

Saute garlic and onions in extra virgin olive oil for 10 minutes.


Add chicken stock, honey and tomato paste and mix well.  Add spices, Tagine sauce, diced tomatoes and stir.


Pour sauce into slowcooker and add chicken, chickpeas and apricots.  Cook on high for 3-4 hours.  When chicken reaches desired tenderness add chopped cilantro, mix and serve.


Serve with a quarter wedge of lemon (as a matter or urgency...I don't know what it is, but the lemon makes everything come together for me).  MmmmMmm...delish.

0 comments:

Post a Comment