Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Foodie Files

While brainstorming tonight's dinner, Nina mentioned seeing a recipe for a grilled brie cheese and pear sandwich...which got me thinking...how could I tweak that to make it fit what I'm craving right now?  And thus this tasty little pressed sandwich was born.  The flavors (verses the technique) are the stars here, and I'm perfectly comfortable with that.  You've gotta have a few tricks up your sleeve that you can whip up in 10 minutes or less and I'm happy to report this is one of them.

Ingredients:
(serves 6)
8 oz brie cheese
2 large pears, thinly sliced
6 croissants
1 lb sliced turkey
1 TBS butter

The first thing I do anytime brie cheese is involved is take off the wax.  I know...you don't have to...I've heard the whole shpeal, but it tastes gross to me so it's a must.  Once you've removed the outer layer, thinly slice the cheese.


Cut croissant in half and layer meat, pear and brie inside.  Using a pastry brush, spread melted butter over the top of the sandwich and grill on medium high for 3-5 minutes.  I used a panini press to grill the assembled sandwiches but you could always use a large pan and a spatula if it came down to it.  


Serve warm and enjoy!  Side note 1: I was super excited to use the jadeite pieces my parents and bestie got me for Christmas (are they the best or what?).  Side note 2: I served these particular sandwiches with the creamy asparagus soup you see pictured.  We'll talk about that in next week's Foodie Files cause it was delicious.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment