Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Foodie Files

When I get stressed out, I eat baked macaroni and cheese.  It's just a fact of life.  If you read all about my big news this past Monday, you can imagine how much I've been craving baked mac and cheese over the last few weeks (hint: it's a lot).  Now, I may not have total control over my stress level or cravings but what I do have is the ability to try a healthier version of this tasty treat.  Then at least I don't have to feel stressed and guilty about constantly eating something so unhealthy and a little bit ill from overindulging.  Instead of macaroni I gave good 'ol quinoa a try...you may have seen a similar recipe floating around Pinterest.  It was delicious, but definitely more of a side dish than a main course.  I mean, I guess in theory mac and cheese is too, but not in the amount I usually eat it.  So the verdict is this: tasty?...yes, mac and cheese?...obviously not.  It's very good in it's own right but not a substitute for the real thing.  With properly managed expectations and the right amount of salt (mine needed just slightly more), however, I think you'll really enjoy it.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups dry quinoa
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs for topping
Salt to taste

Cook quinoa to packaged instructions until fully cooked (about 15 minutes).  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Coat 13x9 inch dish with cooking spray.


Whisk together eggs and milk in large bowl.  Fold in quinoa mixture and 1 1/2 cups cheese.  Salt to taste.


 Stir very well and transfer to prepared baking dish.  Top with remaining cheese and Panko bread crumbs.


Bake for 35 minutes or until bread crumbs are browned.  Serve warm (oh and just between me and you, the corners are the best part).

0 comments:

Post a Comment