Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Foodie Files

My ability to discern exactly what I'm craving at any given moment is both a blessing and a curse, depending- of course- on whether that particular item is available to me in the somewhat immediate future.  Sometimes it creates a wonderful opportunity for instant satisfaction (cue craving for asian pear and vermont cheddar cheese, walk to kitchen, eat asian pear and vermont cheddar cheese).  Other times it just makes me miserable (cue craving for my Dad's brick oven pizza...weep and pout).  Earlier this week, for example, I knew I had to have some Thai inspired food.  The fact that I had stacks of tupperware filled with Cinco de Mayo leftovers was all of a sudden irrelevant...it was Thai or bust and that was that.  Some of my favorite recipes were born in moments like this so at this point I don't even get aggravated with myself, I just get cooking.  Come to find out, this Thai vegetable salad is what's been missing from my repertoire...it's delicious, healthy and a great staple for summer.  And if the satisfied craving wasn't enough, I even got to christen the gorgeous Jadeite bowl my grandmother gave me!  It was a banner evening.  Now- get to enjoying this salad.  You're gonna love it!  

Ingredients: 
2 medium zucchini
2 cups carrot matchsticks
1 cup edamame, shelled
1 avocado, cubed
1 TBS black sesame seeds
2 TBS chopped cilantro
Dressing:
1/4 cup Thai peanut sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp basil infused oil

Create ribbons by peeling zucchini with a simple potato peeler, rotating until you reach the seeds.  Cut ribbons into matchsticks and set aside.


Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl (if you don't have access to basil infused olive oil, simply double the sesame oil), then throughly mix with carrots, zucchini and edamame.   


Add avocado cubes, cilantro and sesame seeds and toss gently.


Since the Thai peanut sauce has a little kick of heat to it, I served the salad alongside some simple coconut friend rice (which is another recipe for another day).  The combination was so tasty and strangely filling, especially for a completely vegetarian, nearly raw meal!

0 comments:

Post a Comment