Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Foodie Files

I've detailed my tendency to make pick-me-up macaroni and cheese many times, but yesterday I wanted to take things to the next level.  When I found out one of my dearest friends got some sad news, I pulled out the big guns and made lobster mac and cheese.  The recipe varies a good deal from my regular macaroni and cheese routine but the results are certainly richer and more substantial.  All in all, a winner!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pound cavatappi
3/4 cup heavy cream
3 1/4 cups milk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
8 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 pound cooked lobster meat
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Add pasta to a large pot of boiling salted water and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes.  Drain well.

In a large pot, melt 6 tablespoons of butter and add the flour.  Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk.  Still whisking, add the milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth.  Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.


Add the cooked macaroni and lobster and stir well. 


Transfer to a baking dish or individual ramekins and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.  Serve and enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment