Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Foodie Files

Since football season is upon us, I decided to test kitchen a couple game day finger foods.  I plan on cheering my Philadelphia Eagles all the way to the Superbowl this year, so I know I'm gonna need a roster of winning recipes to go along with our championship season.  I have no idea what possessed me to try buffalo chicken egg rolls, but I'm thrilled I did because they turned out extra delicious.  I added a little bit of complexity (yes...complex buffalo chicken egg rolls...who would've thunk...) by marinading them in BBQ sauce and forgoing the conventional blue cheese for gorgonzola.  It was a touchdown, if you will.

Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts, cubed
9oz Stubbs Original BBQ Sauce
1/4 cup Franks Red Hot Wings Buffalo Sauce
Gorgonzola cheese
1 package Egg Roll Wraps
Salt and Pepper to taste
Serve with a side of blue cheese dressing for dipping

Marinade cubed chicken in BBQ sauce for 20-30 minutes, then discard excess sauce.  Saute until chicken is cooked through and place in a medium sized bowl.  Mix chicken with buffalo sauce and set aside. 


Arrange egg roll wrapper like a diamond, and place cheese, celery and chicken in the center.  Use water to moisten the edges and begin wrapping, starting with bringing the corner closest to you over the chicken, then folding the sides like an envelope.


Take the corner farthest from you and wrap it around to the other side of the egg roll, creating some tension in the process.


Coat the bottom of a frying pan generously with oil and heat over medium high.  You'll know the oil is ready when a drop of water makes it sizzle.  Place the egg rolls into the oil with the fold facing down, cooking and flipping until all sides are a crispy, beautiful golden brown.

0 comments:

Post a Comment