Friday, August 13, 2010

Chihuly Strikes Again

A few weeks ago I touched on Dale Chihuly’s brilliant glassmaking, but what I just recently discovered (and thus neglected to mention previously) is that he also does wonders with a paintbrush.  I got a chance to view some of his paintings and found them to be delightful.  While they’re not meticulously detailed, they are outrageously creative to be sure.  Most of all, I was struck by the boldness of Chihuly’s color palette- his color combinations are out of this world!  Even more so than his glasswork, his paintings make you wonder what’s going on in that mind of his.  I was reading up on his process and, from what I understand, he paints quite a few in succession when he’s feeling inspired.  It seems they don’t take him very long to complete, which doesn’t exactly shock me, nor does it make them any less fantastic in my book….all I know is he produces energetic pieces that make me smile.  I’m not a huge fan of the abstract genre, but I just plain like his work.  It’s no Sistine Chapel, but it’s not supposed to be.  







0 comments:

Post a Comment