Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Foodie Files

Last night, cooking and I were having a bit of a lovers spat.  I was in a rut, I didn't feel motivated, and I just wanted to say "you know what, cooking?  I love you, but I just don't like you right now".  The show, however, had to go on...I was expecting company, have a few out of town guests staying with me and realized The Foodie Files wasn't about to write itself.  So I did what I always do when I have relationship problems- I called my Mom.  She suggested I make a delicious but simple lemon and olive chicken...so that is exactly what I did.  As usual, her advice was spot on and the meal- however uninspired at first- was a hit.  Here's the recipe (I was cooking for 10, so you can go ahead and make adjustments as needed).

Ingredients

10 Chicken breasts
4 Lemons, quartered
Thyme
1/2 Cup Black Mediterranean Olives
Salt
Pepper

In a roasting pan, squeeze lemons over seasoned chicken breasts.  Throw olives and remaining lemons on top, then lightly sprinkle fresh thyme over chicken.  


Bake covered at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, then remove cover and bake for an additional 5 minutes.  That's it...easy as pie, right?!  I served the chicken with rosemary potatoes (a simple recipe I want to add to before I post...I was getting a few ideas tonight but didn't have the right ingredients to act on them.  Next time...I promise.) and my Nonnie's delicious Zucchini.  Since I had two waves of guests, I made two separate "batches"- which is how I managed the before and after shot.  Had there not been so many people in my kitchen, I definitely would've pretended to be on a cooking show ("...and here we have a finished product...doesn't that just look delicious...").  The recipe here is quite simple too.  It goes a little something like this.

 Ingredients:
4 Zucchini (don't forget- I was feeding 10)
Mozzarella cheese
Grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese
Salt
Pepper

Cut zucchini in half, then slice lengthwise into thirds.  Place on a greased cookie sheet, then season and top with Mozzarella and Parmesan Reggiano cheese.  Broil on high for 7 minutes.  And your done!  A simple but scrumptious meal!

0 comments:

Post a Comment