Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Foodie Files

I came across a recipe for honey-ed fig preserves the other day that really stayed with me (ask either of my parents and I'm sure they'd be happy to confirm how many times I brought it up while I was visiting).  With only four ingredients, two of which we had on hand and in abundance (my Dad's figs and honey) it seemed simple but perfect.  And it was!  In fact, I can't think of a better way to capture the last bit of summer...very sweet, very seasonal, just delicious!

Ingredients:
2 lbs. figs
3 TBS fresh lemon juice
5 TBS honey
1/4 cup granulated sugar


Wash, stem and slice figs in half.  Place in a medium sized sauce pan, then add all remaining ingredients.  Stir, then allow figs to sit for 15-20 minutes before continuing.  


Set the figs over low to medium heat, and let cook for 10-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the fruit has begun to break down. Using a potato masher, smash the figs to desired consistency.
Reduce the heat to low, and continue to cook for another 10-20 minutes, or until the jam has thickened to your liking.



Spoon preserves into freshly cleaned jars, and seal tightly.  Process in a water bath (don't know what that is?  I didn't either.  Read up on it here), and set aside to cool. Properly sealed jars should be stored in a cool dark place for up to several months, and open jars in the fridge for up to a few weeks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment