Wednesday, March 5, 2014

3 Ideas


1. Try something you've heard of but never tasted.  For example, reading C.S. Lewis' The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe as a kid always made me curious about Turkish Delight.  When I finally saw it in a specialty grocery store in college I was so excited!  Come to find out Turkish Delight tastes disgusting, but my lifelong fascination with it made me so happy I tried it anyway.  And remember, you don't have to tread into "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern" territory to broaden your horizons…start with a loop around your favorite grocery store or by perusing the menu at an interesting restaurant you've never tried and see what you find!

2. Get creative with your flavor combinations.  If you think about it, someone somewhere was the first person to pair fruit and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, chocolate and hazelnut, and the list goes on.  No pressure to come up with a pairing that's quite as prolific but the possibilities really are endless.  True story: my parents made me a delicious broth soup with a poached egg in it over Christmas that all but changed my life.  Its not something I would've come up with on my own but it's a dish I've dreamed of over the last few months.  You may kiss a few frogs before you find your prince but the possible payoff is huge.

3. You know those foods you didn't like as a child and haven't tried since…give a few another shot!  You may be surprised to see how much your palate has changed.  Order one as a side at a really terrific restaurant or Google a really tasty looking recipe to make another…what's the worst that can happen?

0 comments:

Post a Comment