Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Foodie Files

I'm not quite sure what to call this week's recipe...banana brownies?  Banana bars?  Banana squares, perhaps?  All I know is it's quite good.  If you like banana bread, you'll love this.  I found the recipe here, bought a couple bananas and waited for what felt like weeks for them to ripen.  I can say with confidence that the deliciousness was worth the wait.  Give them a try and don't miss out on the frosting!  I'm a cake girl myself but I'll tell you what, this brown butter frosting is killer.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt

Brown Butter Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 TBS milk

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease and flour a 9" x 13" cake pan.  In a large bowl, beat together sugar, Greek yogurt, butter, and eggs until creamy.


Blend in bananas and vanilla extract.  Add flour, baking soda, salt, and blend for 1 minute. 



Spread batter evenly into pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown (I let the residual heat finish .  Meanwhile, for frosting, heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until foaming.  Whisk until delicate brown and remove from heat immediately.



Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk.  Whisk together until smooth. 



Using a spatula, spread the brown butter frosting (the frosting will be easier to spread while still warm).  


Cut, serve and enjoy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment