Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Glass Half-Full

If I had to make a list of favorite decorative items in my home, somewhere in the top 10 would be my roommate, Courtney’s, small collection of milk glass.  The color and texture of the candy dish, vase, candle sticks and various containers set on our bookshelves brings just a touch of a vintage vibe to our living room and I’ve gotta say…I love it.  Originally created in Venice, milk glass has been around since the 16thcentury.  It has quite a history- the Victorians used it as an inexpensive alternative to porcelain, France popularized it during the end of the 19th century, it represented the cultural prosperity of wealthy American culture throughout the 20th century, and it was considered a poor-mans glass throughout the depression of the 1930’s.  Today it’s more common to find milk glass at a flea market than at a Pottery Barn, but I’d venture to say that only adds to it’s allure.  Follow the links below to check out a few pieces for sale online- they’re in limited qualities and some are used but they’re all quite lovely.  I love milk glass in white, but also find it quite charming in jade.  What do you think?










 

0 comments:

Post a Comment