Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Foodie Files

If you missed last week's Foodie Files, then you didn't catch my processed wheat schpeal.  Here's the Spark Notes version for those of you who like to stay in the loop: I've been experimenting with various wheat-free recipes since Christmas.  While I haven't cut wheat out of my diet (and I use the word diet very loosely) by any means, I have tried to reduce the amount I eat as of late.  Had I realized I was posting back to back wheat free recipes, I probably would've saved today's for another time...buuut I didn't until just now.  So you wheat-lovers are just gonna have to bear with me.  What I'm suggesting here is risky, but I'll tell you- I was pleasantly surprised with the results.  Before I go on, I need you to promise me you'll keep an open mind.  Promise?  Okay...it's a veggie pizza on cauliflower pizza crust.  Sounds crazy, I know, but it's shockingly good!  Now, in the interest of reasonable expectations, let me tell you what cauliflower pizza crust isn't.  Cauliflower pizza crust is not an option that tastes exactly like regular pizza crust and it's not completely fat free (there's a decent amount of cheese mixed around in there).  It is delicious in it's own right and a great way to get kids (and adults for that matter) to eat their veggies.  I'd absolutely make it again...maybe sooner than later, for that matter.

Ingredients:
2 cups finely chopped cauliflower
1 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms
1/2 cup spinach

Preheat the oven to 450.  To make the pizza crust, pulse cauliflower in a food processor (or finely chop if no food processor is available).  Place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave uncovered for 8 minutes. 


Beat the egg in a medium sized bowl, then add cauliflower, 1 cup of mozzarella and thyme.  Mix thoroughly, then transfer to the center of a greased cookie sheet.  Pat into a 9" round and bake for 15 minutes.  


Add crushed tomatoes, remaining cheese, spinach and mushrooms, broil on high for 3-4 minutes and enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment