Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Foodie Files


A few weeks ago I had a total pot roast craving, which was super timely because 1) it's a great cool weather meal and 2) my brother hates pot roast and I always try and get meals he doesn't like out of my system while he's on the road.  Pot roast is probably the most un-cultured item in my repertoire but what can I say?  Sometimes you've gotta indulge yourself with some good, old fashioned comfort food.  If you've got a crock pot, a knife, access to a grocery store and a little bit of time on your hands you can absolutely kill this recipe.  Let me know if you give it a go!

Ingredients:
3 (ish) lb rump roast
1 cup baby carrots
1 cup sliced onions
1 cup Yukon gold potatoes, halved
1 cup celery stalks, quartered
3/4 cup beef stock
1/4 cup red wine
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper

In terms of pot roast related threats, public enemy number one is bland taste.  I always prefer to season as I go when I cook, but when you're working with a crock pot, adjustments must be made.  One of the ways I add flavor is by tossing the veggies with a light sprinkling of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.  




Once you've seasoned the rump roast (salt and pepper to taste), put it in the crock pot and add seasoned veggies.  At my Mom's suggestion, I threw a little red wine into the mix as well because- let's be honest- when did that ever make anything worse?  (Correct answer: never)  Throw the beef stock in there, too, then cover & set on low.
   


Cook for 7-8 hours or until very tender.  The meat should come apart pretty easily.

0 comments:

Post a Comment