Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Foodie Files

Davey and I ventured down to Pratt's Orchard last weekend for an apple picking adventure (an idea I planted in his head a few weeks ago and he planned...Inception at it's finest).  While I always have the best intentions to revel in all of fall's fun activities, I typically only get around to one or two...a bonfire here, a carved pumpkin there, maybe a fall festival or something if I'm really on top of things.  Never apple picking, though...by the time I roll around to it, the season is always over.  All that to say, I was extra pumped to get to go this year.


We picked Gala, Mutsu, Yellow Delicious, Stayman Winesap and Fuji varieties but by the time we got home I had literally no idea which was which.  So!  I just picked a few random ones and made my first apple pie.  I'm not sure if that's breaking any rules, but it tasted great so I feel alright about it.  I'm not into cinnamon apple so I went with a recipe (first found here) that just used cinnamon and brown butter (my fave).  

Ingredients:
2 pie crusts
4 tablespoons butter
6 medium apples (about 3 pounds)
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Heavy cream, to brush on top
Coarse sugar, for sprinkling on top 

Preheat oven to 425ºF.


Peel, core and thinly slice apples.  It may just be that my knife skills are lacking, but this took me a lot longer than I thought it would.  Consider yourself warned.


Melt butter over moderately high heat in a small (if possible, heavy bottomed) skillet.  Once it begins to foam, whisk continuously until it gets slightly brown and smells nutty and fragrant.  Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. 


Add the apples, sugar, salt and flour to a deep bowl, and toss with a rubber spatula to coat well. Pour in the brown butter and lemon juice, stir well.  Press one pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate and spoon the apple filling into it.


Place your second crust on top and press the edges.  Brush with heavy cream and sprinkle with course sugar.  Create a steam vent by cutting four small gashes in the center of the pie.


Bake for 15 minutes, then turn temperature down to 350 and bake for 35 to 40 minutes more, until top is golden and juices are bubbly.


Serve with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (or both!) for a perfect autumn treat.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment