Monday, March 14, 2011

Table For Twelve: Breakfast at Tiffany's

Oh Table for Twelve!  I'm so glad you've returned!  Now that the second installment is up, I feel l can safely call Table for Twelve my favorite part of the month.  I love planning it, executing it, obsessively looking at pictures from it, but most of all I love sharing it with all of you.  The theme of our most recent party was Breakfast at Tiffany's...technically speaking, I suppose it was Brunch at Tiffany's but who's keeping track?  Not surprisingly, we had a beautiful time.  I mean, how bad can an afternoon with 14 Audrey Hepburns really be?  Especially when those Audrey Hepburns are your best friends.  Now lets get down to the party details before I burst with excitement!  

In terms of centerpieces, I took the idea of a Tiffany's "little blue box" and ran with it.  Pretty intensely.  I wanted to fill little (or in this case, huge) blue boxes with diamonds to take things to the next level and that brought with it it's own set of challenges.  A little bit of acrylic paint, some ribbon, a a few aluminum foil covered foam boards (to hold the "diamonds") and some household items (to support the foam boards) later, I managed to MacGyver up the boxes below.  There was some precarious placing involved, but I was thrilled with the final outcome!


I love everything about brunch, so you can imagine how excited I was to put together our menu.  I've had good brunch and I've had bad brunch, and I think what's separated them (besides the quality of food, obviously) is the balance of salty and sweet.  In my totally unbiased opinion, our menu kicked butt. :) It would work perfectly for a bridal luncheon or for a particularly classy shower too, so if you want any of the recipes, let us know!  


I was intent on taking the idea of 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' as literally as possible, so I arranged the set-up of the room to mimic a jewelry store.  Due to a fortunate hook up at Dillard's department store (thanks again Ms. Daniella), we were able to borrow a few jewelry displays that I used to showcase some of my Mom's beautiful pieces.  


We had jewelry all over the place...on the food table, by the drinks, and- most notably- on the Swag Bag area.  What's a Swag Bag area, you ask?  Well, that's an excellent question even the lovely ladies of Table for 12 didn't know the answer to when our fun afternoon began.  Although the jewelry displayed throughout the room was mostly from my Mom's collection, I did have a small area that- unbeknownst to the girls- they were able to go "shopping" in.  Because what's the fun of having Breakfast at Tiffany's if you can't go home with something shiny?  I purchased some inexpensive but lovely pieces of costume jewelry over the weeks leading up to our event, then came up with a system to determine in what order the girls would make their selections.  If you've ever been in a room full of women and jewelry, then you realize how important it is to have some semblance of order.  As my roommate Courtney has perfect penmanship, I had her write the numbers 1-12 on some pretty paper.  I then proceeded to wrap the numbers in little blue boxes and place the boxes in a random order at each place setting.  When the girls chose their seat, little did they know they were also choosing their number...and they got to open a little blue box, which is always a good time in and of itself.  I made sure everyone was supplied with a pair of Holly Golightly's signature shades, a lovely new piece of bling, and a personalized bag (one of my favorite details of the evening).  Check it out below. 


If I had a Mimosa in hand right now (and boy do I wish I did), I'd toast to a spectacular afternoon spent with gorgeous friends.  We're two for two, ladies (speaking of which- if you missed our last Table for Twelve, you can check that out here).  Check back soon for some guest posts courtesy of the Table for Twelve gals themselves- believe me...they're every bit as fabulous as they look.  I can't wait to share their infinite wit and wisdom with you. :)  Stay tuned!


P.S- I just realized I didn't really include one good picture of my dress, which I'm completely enamored with, by the way.  If you like it half as much as I do, you'll want to check out this past Friday's post on the vintage store where I bought it.  And yes, those are diamonds reflecting off my face.  If that's not the sign of a good day, I don't know what is. :)


4 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi! What a lovely party and blog. I just received your card from Dr. Meyer, president of Valley Forge Christian College where your mom serves on the Board of Trustees and where I teach Writing for the Media. If you don't mind, I would love to show your blog to our class tomorrow night. They have to create and maintain a blog for the semester and you have done such a nice job here.

Blessings,

Sarah Peppel

Gabrielle said...

Thanks Sarah-I'd love for you to show the blog to your class! If any of your students are interested in design blogging tell them to shoot me an e-mail...I'm always looking for submissions from talented guest bloggers :)

diana said...

this is amazing! wish i lived closer! we just did a tiffany and co "inspired" wedding in January. http://bit.ly/ejhOvT though i don't think the guests at this wedding walked away with such fabulous swag bags :)

Chiqui & Ita said...

I love your blog. Please visit mine at chiquiita.blogspot.com

I see you are a party planner, I sell table linens for all ocassions at chiquiita.etsy.com

Post a Comment