Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Foodie Files

I got a little ambitious with last year's Easter menu since it marked the first time I hosted a major holiday by myself.  There was Easter Pie, watermelon and feta salad with crispy fried shallots, a variety of veggies and individual flower arrangements for each place setting.  I'm not gonna lie, it was awesome.  Since I'll be out of town this year and I won't get a chance to host again I whipped up a fun brunch item for dinner tonight (I had to just get it out of my system, you know?).  If you're still deciding what to make this Sunday, might I suggest this simple and delicious asparagus and gruyere tart?  I'll tell you what, it sure is tasty! 

Ingredients:
Flour, for work surface
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (usually takes about 40 minutes)
5 1/2 ounces (2 cups) Gruyere cheese, shredded
1 1/2 pounds medium or thick asparagus
1/2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  On a floured surface, roll the puff pastry and place on a baking sheet. With a sharp knife, lightly score pastry dough 1 inch in from the edges to mark a rectangle. Using a fork, pierce dough inside the markings at 1/2-inch intervals. 


Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.  Remove pastry shell from oven and sprinkle with Gruyere.  Trim the bottoms of the asparagus spears to fit crosswise inside the tart shell.   Arrange in a single layer over Gruyere, alternating ends and tips. 



Brush asparagus with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until spears are tender, about 20 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment