Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Foodie Files

I know...it's spring, it's already super hot out and you're ready to talk about warm weather foods.  I am too.  But first, you're gonna have to hear about this amazing cauliflower soup cause I can't wait 'til autumn to talk about it.  My Mom whipped this recipe up last time I was home and I went totally bonkers for it...you seriously can't believe how good it is!  Cauliflower is one of those vegetables I thought I hated until somewhat recently, but it's quickly turning into one of my favorites.  Not unlike brussel sprouts or beets, it's an underdog veggie that I've come to love as an adult almost as much as I hated it when I was a kid.  This particular soup is insanely easy to make, doesn't have a lot of ingredients and tastes really, really good.  It reminds me of a creamy potato soup, only exceptionally better (yes, I said better potato lovers.  Way better).  Spring or not, you've gotta try this one ASAP.

Ingredients:

1 shallot, diced
1 TBS Extra virgin olive oil
2 TBS butter
1 head of cauliflower
1 cup half and half
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a medium saucepan and add oil and shallots.  While shallots brown, chop cauliflower into florets.


Add cauliflower to saucepan, cover, and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes or until florets soften.  Add cream and chicken stock, re-cover and cook for 15 more minutes.  Using a handheld blender, blend until soup reaches desired creaminess.  
 

And that's it!  I served mine up alongside a Fontina and fig grilled cheese sandwich and devoured every last rich bite.  So tasty!

0 comments:

Post a Comment